when life gives you rotten bananas, what else can you do but make banana bread? this is currently true for me both metaphorically and literally. luckily, i'm up at the park with a beautiful view and a newly built wood oven.
to make banana bread in the middle of nowhere:
- 4 bananas, ripe with black spots, smashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, preferably from a nearby hen
- 1/3 cup butter, melted or smushed in until mushy
- 1 tsp triple sec (not necessary, which is good because you probably don't have triple sec... though i actually do)
- 1 tsp baking soda (i had to substitute with baking powder... apparently you can't really do this but some people say it's doable if you do 3 parts powder for 1 part soda... it didn't work great for me)
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
mix all that together, roughly in that order. pour into a greased tin pan and put that in a hot brick oven full of burning wood. wait 45 minutes. check it. probably leave it another 30 minutes or so until you can put a knife in and it comes out clean.
the lesson: don't be afraid of banana bread coming out wrong. anything with delicious ingredients and a bit of good intention will be alright in the end. even if it's baked in a crappy tin pot. also, even mediocre banana bread tastes better with a view.